Unusual Opinions I have
Sometimes I think weird things 🤪. Here’s a whole bunch of the weirder or more controversial opinions I hold and a super rough percentage of how likely I think that opinion is to be true (See my post on thinking in probabilities for more on why that’s important). If I’ve written a post 📖 on the idea or theme of the opinion then I’ve turned it into a link to that post. Enjoy and remember to tell me why you disagree, I’m sure you’ll find some to disagree with 😉.
My opinions and confidence in them change all the time. This list was last accurate(ish) as of the 19th April 2020.
TODO: Go through each an have a good think about the probability first. Don’t spend too long.
- 90% - Religion does more long term harm for humanity than good.
- 99.9999% - Religion is obviously false
- 50% - At the moment it would be better for humanity to have a max cap on how much you can earn (somewhere between £50,000-£100,000 per person), everything above can be tax.
- People who earn over (roughly) £50,000 should pay much much more tax.
- More money and focus should be spent on trying to live forever.
- Privacy is silly unless it’d specifically related to preventing criminal activity.
- It’s better to save an 18 year old than a 1 year old (in the impossible event that you can only pick 1)
- Abortion is fine at any point before birth
- It’s good to over compensate (to a degree) when it comes to anti discrimination (TODO: Need to reword this) (NOTE: gender, race, sexuality)
- Coronavirus will overall be a positive event for humanity
- People in the armed forces or olympics don’t deserve more respect than Joe in accounting who does nothing of note in his life.
- Self development should be part of the national curriculum
- Nothing really matters so enjoy your life
- Companies do more good for the world than governments
- In general everything keeps getting better
- Technology will save us, if we don’t kill us
- Eating/farming meat is wrong. But doesn’t particularluy matter at the end of the day (tie in to doesn’t matter)
- There’s a resonable chance we’re living in a simulation
- Perfect life for humanity is the matrix (but not the bad bits)
- My life is perfect
- The government are great
- Friends are more important than family
- How do people still have issues with race, sexuality, male/female
- Facebook has done more good than harm for the world
- Trump/Boris aren’t who I’d vote for, by still pretty good
- No to guns
- Abortion at any stage is fine
- Need to go too much on one side (race, sex, gender)
- One currency
- One language
- One government
- Capital punishment is not ok
- Patriotic is stupid
- Doing illegal things
- Assissted suicide yay
- Freeze my head
- Genetic engineering yay
- Cloning yay
- Organ donor, no thanks
- Kids seem unnecessary
- Smoking should be banned in public
- Polygamy no problem
- Don’t vote - the world doesn’t need me to right now
- Gambling not cool
- Porn nothing wrong
Recycling should be the companies responsibilioty. Think about user experience
University should not be free. But internet should be an essential service. But we should teach people how to learn. Larn everything online for free.